Thursday, January 8, 2009

Elvis



Elvis Presley was born on this day in 1935. I have always been a big Elvis fan. We always went to see Elvis movies at the drive-in, usually for my birthday. My favorite Elvis song is "An American Trilogy". It always gives me chills.

I saw him in concert twice, but I don't remember it. Mama, Daddy, Nora Lee, Garrett, & I went to see him the first time. That was before babysitters were invented, so I got to go also. He was at Spudder Park in Wichita Falls. Spudder Park was a baseball field and the stage he performed on was a flat bed truck. He had a pink Cadillac & some of his clothes were pink. Everyone sat in the bleachers. Mama said the women went crazy.

The second time he was at Memorial Auditorium in Wichita Falls. Hank Locklin, an older country-western star, opened for him. Mama said people booed him and threw things at him (Hank not Elvis). Hank told the crowd he was singing for the amount of time he was hired for & Elvis wasn't coming on stage until he was through. Mama thought the people were very rude.

Our youngest granddaughter's name is Presley. I have one wall of our bathroom covered in old country/western record album covers. The first time she saw it, she asked me "Why don't you have any Presley Elvis covers on the wall?" I couldn't tell her I have them under lock & key!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I want to see a picture of the wall.

Club de Fans Alejandro Montreal said...

I like your blog! I know that you like Elvis Presley, please visit my blog,, is about a new singer that makes covers of Elvis in spanish.
www.fansalejandromontreal.blogspot.com
See you!