Beets fresh picked in my basket I bought at a garage sale for $1.00. Can't have a garden without a wooden basket can you?
- Next year we need to plant more beets. 3 pints weren't quite enough, but I'm glad that was all there were for the first time.
- Pickling salt is hard to find in a small town. I read if you used regular salt, it would make them cloudy.
- Patience. Waiting for water to boil was a test of my patience.
- Thin plants, so the beets will grow bigger.
- A jar lifter is a wonderful utensil! I don't know how I've lived this long & never used one. It might be because I've never canned or made jelly or pickles.
- Fresh cooked beets are good even before pickling them. Sonya, I might have to try them on a salad. Gourmet red neck mama.
- I never knew canning could be such fun.
I hope Grammy approved of my method.